Associate Members generally have less experience or are less qualified than Full Members. They are available to assist in consulting work and/or may undertake independent consultancies appropriate to their experience or expertise. This category includes recent graduates with little or no experience in consulting work, to those with considerable expertise.
Annual subscription is $100.
ASSOCIATE MEMBER: Each applicant for associate membership shall:
- have an honours degree or postgraduate degree in archaeology or other field of scholarship accepted by the Membership Committee or have such experience in the field of consulting archaeology as is considered sufficient by the Membership Committee for admission as an Associate Member;
- intend to seek at least part-time employment in the field of consulting archaeology;
- be supported by references from 2 professional archaeologists each stating that in his or her opinion the applicant is competent in archaeological procedures relevant to the application and setting out the grounds for that belief; and
- be able to work as a supervised or unsupervised field or research assistant and may undertake sub-consultancies or consultancies where he or she has appropriate levels of skill and training.
In the absence of an Honours or Postgraduate degree in archaeology, acceptable equivalent qualifications and/or experience must include a substantive piece of independent work in the field of archaeology, demonstrating knowledge of both the theory and practice specific to the discipline. Such a work could be published or unpublished, for example a major article or chapter in a refereed journal or book, the major essay required for some postgraduate diplomas in archaeology, or a consulting report.
An Associate Member may apply for Full Membership after one year of Associate membership. Such application must comply with the criteria outlined for Full Members above.
The Association expects Associate Members to apply for Full Membership after five years of full-time consultancy activity (or equivalent).
If Associate Members have not applied for Full Membership within 5 years, they must demonstrate to the NEC why they should continue as an Associate Member.
Please prepare and have ready the following list of documents as you will need ALL of them in order to submit your application. All submitted documents must be in one of the following formats – doc, docx, txt, pdf.
- $50 Processing Fee Payment Proof
- CV/Resume summary
- Referee report
What happens next?
When all of your documentation and the processing fee are received, copies of your application will be sent to each member of the Membership Committee for assessment.
The National Executive Committee will vote on the recommendation of the Membership Committee and you will be informed of the result.
Please note that the review process can take several months to complete.