Full Members are archaeologists who are competent to work as independent, professional consulting archaeologists. Full Members are entitled to quote membership of AACAI as a professional qualification in the form “MAACAI”. Full Members and are included in the Register of Full Members.
Annual subscription is $180.
TO QUALIFY AS A FULL MEMBER: Each applicant for full membership shall:
- have an honours degree or postgraduate degree in archaeology or other field of scholarship accepted by the Membership Committee or have such experience in the field of consulting archaeology as is considered sufficient by the Committee for admission as a full member;
- have the equivalent of two years full time experience in the field of consulting archaeology in Australia;
- be supported by references from 2 archaeologists (one of whom must be a Full Member of the Association or in exceptional circumstances another person agreed to by the Membership Committee) each stating that in his or her opinion the applicant is competent in the field of consulting archaeology and setting out the grounds for that belief;
- have demonstrated an ability to conduct archaeological consultancies on his or her own;
- have demonstrated competence in:
- survey, identification and recording of sites;
- site assessment and evaluation;
- recommendations concerning the management of sites;
- report preparation and production;
- client-consultant relations;
- consultant-determining authority relations; and where relevant
- relevant community liaison and consultation and documentary and oral research.
Applicants must provide at least two recent reports for review by the Membership Committee. Items in (e) above are core skills and must be demonstrated in at least one of the reports submitted.
Claims for additional expertise, such as excavation or rock art recording, must also be demonstrated, in additional reports if necessary
If reports with joint authorship are submitted then it must be clear which sections the applicant has completed.
Please prepare and have ready the following list of documents as you will need ALL of them in order to submit your application. All submitted documents must be in one of the following formats – doc, docx, txt, pdf.
- $50 Processing Fee Payment Proof
- CV/Resume summary
- Referee report
Direct deposit details
Account name AACAI
Account # 50-945-4961
What happens next?
When all of your documentation and the processing fee are received, copies of your application will be sent to each member of the Membership Committee for assessment.
The National Executive Committee will vote on the recommendation of the Membership Committee and you will be informed of the result.
Please note that the review process can take several months to complete.