Full member, Australian Association of Consulting Archaeologists Inc.
Listed on AAV (Aboriginal Affairs Victoria) list of Heritage Advisors
With 20 years’ experience working in cultural heritage management, Sarah is an expert in all aspects of archaeological heritage. Over this time she has prepared over 100 reports many of which were Cultural Heritage Management Plans (CHMPs) concerning Aboriginal Cultural heritage and Archaeology Assessments involving historical archaeology.
Some of the more significant projects for which she was director or lead consultant have been in the urban context, indeed archaeology of the modern city has become one of her areas of special interest.
Following are a selection of featured projects Sarah has undertaken by year and also some listed by theme, including: Aboriginal, urban, garden and rural archaeology projects.
CURRENT PROJECTS 2015
• CHMP 13568 - Retaining wall construction, Portsea
• Historic Archaeology Assessment Churchill Island
• Historic Archaeology Assessment and Recording, Australian Wharf, Docklands
• CHMP 12737 Requirements, Reburial of Aboriginal Artefacts
ARCHLINK ACHIEVEMENTS 2014
• Historic Archaeology Assessment - Flemington Racecourse Redevelopment, Flemington
• Historic Archaeology Assessment, Excavation & Monitoring - Mates Building Redevelopment, Kiewa Street, Albury
• Historic Archaeology Assessment, Excavation & Monitoring - Albury Arts Centre Redevelopment, Dean Street, Albury
• Historic Archaeology Assessment, Excavation & Monitoring - Flinders Street, Melbourne
SELECT PROJECTS 2013
• CHMP# 13405 - Childcare Centre and Residential Unit Development, Maddingley
• Three CHMPs for Footpaths and Road Improvement Works in the Yarra Ranges
• Historic Archaeology Assessment, Excavation and Monitoring, Swanston Street, Melbourne
• Archaeological Supervision for Excavations at the Carlton United Brewery site in Melbourne
• Preliminary Cultural Heritage Assessment (Aboriginal) for the Craigieburn Road Class A Link Main Project
• Heritage Assessment (Historical): The Former Lake View Property, Mallacoota
• CHMP# 11998 - Drilling Access Track Construction, Northern Fall of Mt Unicorn, Corryong
• CHMP# 10947 - New depot site, Tidal River and New Toilet Block, Oberon bay; Wilson’s Promontory National Park
• Historical Archaeology Assessment, Joseph Road Precinct, Footscray
• Archaeological Investigation of the Happy Valley Site for the Point Nepean Range Conservation Management Plan
• City of Darebin Heritage Study: Historical Archaeological Report
> Urban Archaeology Projects
Archaeological Excavation of Site H7822-1363; 11-15 Cohen Place, Melbourne, 2002. Prepared for Deal Corporation, the Heritage Council of Victoria and the Chinese Museum, Melbourne.
The Cohen Place excavation in China Town was undertaken in 1998 and 1999, with a report completed in 2002. It began as a small test excavation funded by the developer and due to the potential significance of the site, grew into a full scale excavation that was also funded by the Heritage Council and the Chinese Museum.
A large team of archaeologists and student volunteers assisted with the excavations, which attracted visits from many school groups and is now considered one of the most important excavations to have been undertaken in Melbourne.
A collection of the artefacts recovered from the site are displayed within the foyer of the hotel now standing on
“Thousands of historic artefacts and significant architectural remains were excavated.... They gave us an insight into the lives of the nineteenth century residents of Cohen Place - of children playing, women sewing, educating themselves, taking pride in their appearance and in their homes. Artefacts included jacks, marbles, china dolls with their own tiny tea sets and baths, and matching sets of quality blue and white china tableware. Chinese residents preferred traditional Chinese pale green/blue celadon wares.”
- Heritage Victoria Website 2012
> Aboriginal Archaeology projects
CHMP# 12279 - Childcare Centre and Residential Development, Maddingley near Bacchus Marsh - ADGR Investments.
This CHMP was approved by the Wadawurrung Aboriginal Corporation (the Registered Aboriginal Party for the area).
The presence of a highly significant site within the activity area necessitated focused research and sensitive consultation. Despite the potential for hold points, a successful outcome was negotiated between the Sponsor and the Wadawurrung Aboriginal Corporation - the site was protected alongside the development of a world class Childcare centre and residential area.
> Garden Archaeology Projects
• Archaeological Assessment & Excavation, St Vincent Gardens, South Melbourne, 2002
• Watching Brief for the Old Melbourne Observatory Site Garden Gate Project Stage 4, 1999
• Archaeological Excavation and Watching Brief for the Alexandra Gardens redevelopment, 1998
> Rural Archaeology projects
• Archaeological Excavation, “Mount Pleasant Farm”, (H7822-0076), Sayers Rd, Tarneit, September 2004
• Preliminary Archaeological Investigations at the Farmers Hotel Malmsbury, 2000
> International Projects
• Excavations of the ancient Assyrian city of Til Barsip at Tell Ahmar in Syria
• Excavations of a Bronze Age Cypriot settlement site at Marki Alonia in Cyprus
• Excavations of a Seluecid (Hellenistic) settlement at Jebel Khalid, also in Syria