I work as a casual Archaeologist for Wallis Heritage Consulting (since 2012) and as a sub-contractor for Cultural Heritage Management Australia (since early 2017). In both roles, I have undertaken cultural heritage surveys, mitigation works and excavations working closely with Traditional Owner representatives. I also regularly undertake background research and draft cultural heritage management and assessment reports. I have extensive experience analysing and interpreting Aboriginal stone artefacts and a strong understanding of the current literature and research on this topic. I have primarily worked in Queensland and Western Australia and have a sound understanding of the relevant legislation in both contexts, and I have also undertaken some work in New South Wales and am developing a stronger understanding of the state-based legislation applicable there.
I am also experienced in working within research-focused projects (in both academic and consulting contexts) and I have held short-term research assistant contracts with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Studies Unit and the Aboriginal Environments Research Centre at the University of Queensland as well as with the University of Queensland Cultural Heritage Unit. I have also recently completed a Research Masters degree at the University of Western Australia, which has further expanded my independent research skills and experience with academic publishing.
- Wallis, L.A. and J. Matthews 2016 An investigation of built structures in rockshelters of the Pilbara, Western Australia: Parts 1 and 2. Unpublished report prepared for BHP Billiton Iron Ore.
- Wallis, L.A. and J. Matthews 2015 Investigations into the PIL_5968 and PIL_6001 Rockshelters in the Packsaddle 4 Deposit, Mining Area C, Pilbara. Unpublished report to BHP Billiton Iron Ore.
- Wallis, L.A. and J. Matthews 2013 Salvaged Artefacts from Sections A, B, C and D of the North South Haul Road, Mount Margaret Project, Cloncurry. Unpublished report prepared for Mount Margaret Mining Pty Ltd and the Mitakoodi People.
- Wallis, L.A. and J. Matthews 2013 Salvaged Artefacts from the E1 Tenement, Mount Margaret Project, Cloncurry. Unpublished report prepared for Mount Margaret Mining Pty Ltd and the Mitakoodi People.
- Porr, M. and J. Matthews 2016 Thinking through story: Archaeology and narratives. Hunter Gatherer Research 2(3):249-274.
- Wallis, L.A. and J. Matthews 2016 Built structures in rockshelters of the Pilbara, Western Australia. Records of the Western Australian Museum 31(1):1–26.
- Matthews, J. and L.A. Wallis 2015 Broadcasting, listening and the mysteries of public engagement: An investigation of the AAA online audience. Australian Archaeology 81:1-11.
- Clarkson, C., M. Smith, B. Marwick, R. Fullagar, L.A. Wallis, P. Faulkner, T. Manne, E. Hayes, R.G. Roberts, Z. Jacobs, X. Carah, K. Lowe, J. Matthews and S.A Florin 2015 The archaeology and stratigraphy of Madjedbebe (Malakunanja II): A site in northern Australia with early occupation. Journal of Human Evolution 83:46-64.
- David, B., J-M. Geneste, R.L. Whear, J-J. Delannoy, M. Katherine, R.G. Gunn, C. Clarkson, H. Plisson, P. Lee, F. Petchey, C. Rowe, B. Barker, L. Lamb, W. Miller, S. Hoerlé, D. James, É. Boche, K. Aplin, I.J. McNiven, T. Richards, A. Fairbairn and J. Matthews 2011 Nawarla Gabarnmang, a 45,180±910 cal BP site in Jawoyn Country, southwest Arnhem Land Plateau. Australian Archaeology 73:73-77.
- Matthews J. 2016 Enmeshed with Stone: Implications of Relational Ontology for the Archaeology of Australian Stone Artefacts. Unpublished MPhil thesis, School of Social Sciences. University of Western Australia, Crawley.
- Matthews, J. 2013 Diverse and Constantly Changing: A Study of Technological Organisation at Nawarla Gabarnmang. Unpublished BA(Hons) Thesis, School of Social Science. University of Queensland, St Lucia.